A good basic set

In order to diversify my wardrobe by purchasing more separates, and to save money
and hone my skills by making more dresses myself, I’ve created a self-imposed dress-
buying ban for the year.


After a ridiculous bout of feeling like an inadequate seamstress, I sat down and worked on a skirt. A couple days after Dapper Day, I cut out a blouse. Last week, I did finishing bits on them.





I am in love with the skirt, it's a good basic black skirt. The length is comfortable, and being a stretch cotton sateen, it's actually very warm and cozy.








The blouse I have a love/hate relationship with, mostly due to the how sheer the fabric is. I need to strategically dress with it, so it becomes just another thing to think of when putting together an outfit. But, this is what happens when you fall in love with a color, and don't check the fabric, haha! Lesson learned.








If you didn't figure it out, I was having fun with a 40's-style Hufflepuff student ensemble, haha.










I'm pretty sure I will get more wear out of the blouse in the warmer months, not a couple days after a huge rain storm.

Blouse Sewing Details

Fabric:  Yellow Cotton Fabric
Pattern: Hollywood Patterns 1573
Year: 1938
Notions: covered buttons, self made shoulder pads
How historically accurate is it? Very accurate!
Any tricky parts to the pattern? None, very straightforward
Did you change anything? Just added a monogram on the pocket
Time to complete: I don't remember
First worn: 
Total cost:  Roughly $15 total

Notes:  I used my shoulder pad tutorial(and forgot to put them in for photos. Oops.). And I ran out of fabric, so I had to make the short sleeved version. 





Outfit
Blouse- Self made
Skirt- Self made
Hufflepuff Pin- Gift from friend in the UK
Shoes- Thrifted
'Wand'- Knitting needle
Scarf- WIP

Skirt Sewing Details

Fabric: Black Stretch Cotton Sateen
Pattern: Simplicity 3688
Year: 1940's reissue
Notions: Covered button, bias tape
How historically accurate is it?  Pretty accurate, if we ignore it's a stretch fabric in the skirt, haha
Any tricky parts to the pattern? None, it's a very straightforward pattern.
Did you change anything? Nope!
Time to complete: Couple days
First worn: 
Total cost: About $22

Notes:  None






I had very few issues with either garment, which lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. I felt terribly proud to put these darling labels in them. What's that you say? Labels? Stay tuned, dear readers.


Have you felt extra proud after making such a basic garment?
Do you have issues with purchasing separates?
What is your Hogwarts House?



Labels: , , , , ,