Product Review: Besame Cosmetics Victory Red Lipstick

Edit to add- Besame's Marketing Director reached out to me, and asked me about which are the best ways to do photograhs for showing the product on varying skintones, and my opinions about diversity in general.  I appreciate it, gratefully. I am excited to see how this new step in the more diverse direction of Besame.

This was actually a difficult review for me to do, for a number of reasons, which you'll read in this.

TinyAngryCrafts, Besame cosmetics review


I was ecstatic to see a new Besame Cosmetics color! A color from 1941 called Victory Red.(currently sold out) I buzzed about it with friends, and a friend helped me get it, as she'd be awake early for work.

A week after she got her lipstick, she sent mine, and I was still excited, but not as much. On the fair toned models who bought it in store and the fair toned Besame Girls Promotion team, it was starkly bright. I was worried, but I tried to hold the worry in the back of my head, as it might be different on me. I was hoping to see it on a darker toned person, but I didn't.

I tried it the night I got it, doing my usual applying from the tube. It was the worst experience ever. It was akin to dragging a crayon on my lips. So I got my lip brush and gingerly applied it. It looked like costume lipstick was on my face.

TinyAngryCrafts, Besame cosmetics review


It was very bright. And very drying, my lips feel chapped.

I scrubbed it off my lips and said I'd try again the next day. So I did. And I tried again the next day. I tried to make myself like it, but alas, I can't.

I'm reminded of this post I've seen floating abut the internet.



That's the same shade of lipstick on two different skin tones.



Its a darling color, it's perfectly accurate, but its not for me. I think if Besame had put the lipstick on a variety of skin-tones, it would have bettered my purchase. Honestly, if I saw it on someone similar skin-tone to me, I would have not purchased it.

TinyAngryCrafts, Besame cosmetics review



I talked it over with a friend who was curious about the company, she looked through their Instagram and told me she counted less than 10 darker toned women who's faces were featured. (This was on June 27th of this year) That made me very sad.

TinyAngryCrafts, Besame cosmetics review


I talked it over with my sister, and she said she'd probably not want to make a purchase due to that fact 'If I don't see someone who looks like me, I wouldn't want to waste money hoping it works' She tried it, and was quite shocked at the starkness, and scrubbed it off after a while, saying 'It would work for the club maybe'.

My friends assured me I look lovely in the shade, but I am not a fan, sadly.

TinyAngryCrafts, Besame cosmetics review


Like I mentioned earlier, the lipstick is a beautiful shade in the tube, and there are many many girls who look stunning in it, and rock it, but its not for this darker toned vintage lover. I'm hoping in the future, Besame has a nice gambit of skin-tones of vintage lovers, instead of maybe, three lighter tones.


Have you had an issue with a lipstick?
Do you own Victory Red? How do you find it?


EDIT- 8-23-16: I found this lovely article which addresses some of my concerns for having a more diverse cosmetics company.

Disclaimer: I purchased this with my own money and am receiving no compensation from Besame Cosmetics.I have used affiliate links in this post.

Labels: , , , ,