4 ways to get back your sewing mojo

Now like every human being, we loose our mojo on certain things we like. One that is extremely annoying is losing your sewing mojo, and sewing is one of your favorite things in the world.

I'll give you four tips that help me re-gain my mojo, and might help you too!

1. Figure why you're unmotivated.

I got very overwhelmed with school and various stressors from life last semester, it severely effected my final project, and I covered my sewing machine up, because I got sick of seeing it. Now don't get me wrong, I love sewing. I want to make it my future career! I have to sew a lot this coming semester, and I can't afford burnout! I was just so upset with myself over how things turned out, I felt guilty about the things I attempted to sew. And when you're not happy with what you're sewing, it really shows.

2. Look for inspiration.

I take to the internet, or family photos to find some kind of inspiration spark. I can peruse Pinterest, and find some adorable things I'd like to sew in the long run, and use that to keep going.Or I'll look at some of my favorite bloggers and see what lovely clothes they're wearing or making. I'll even go to my own closet and look at things I'd like to copy. I have a jacket I'd love to have in another color, and when I'm up to it, I'll figure how to copy the pattern.

3. Choose something simple.

Usually the smaller the item you're sewing, the less annoyed you'll be with it if you somehow mess up. I've gotten out of funks before by sewing up small doll clothes when I first started sewing. Then I moved up to small hankies, and now it's bras! Keep all your pieces together after you cut them out, and just work at it.

4. Work on something else.

Thankfully, I'm a woman of many skills. If I'm still overwhelmed with sewing, I'll get out some knitting, or crochet, or I'll start drawing. Anything to keep that creative side of the brain stimulated, so you're happy. Often when I'm working on something else, I'll think 'Oh I need to have a blouse to go with this sweater!' or 'This sketch is cute, I wonder if I can sew it up later.' and it'll give me a much needed kick in the ass to get back to sewing.

And there ou have it. 4 ways to get back to sewing.

Do any of you have any other ways you use to get your sewing mojo back?

What are you currently sewing?

Labels: ,